Rand Fishkin is the CEO of Moz that sells inbound marketing and marketing analytics software subscriptions. He is also behind the social news website Inbound where you can find the latest news about SEO, social media, content marketing, conversion rate optimization, etc.
- Startups are rarely an engineering problem - startups are mostly a marketing problem. Building something that other people want is challenging but you can always solve the challenge. The problem is letting those people who need your solution know that you got what they need.
- Since 2010, Moz has never paid a dollar to find new customers. They used the "inbound" marketing channels to find new customers: SEO, blogging, RSS feeds, Referring links - which is all the traffic that you don't pay for.
- People on Facebook don't click on ads - they click on what their friends like, and you need to be what their friends like. The same with Google search, 82 percent click on the search results and 18 percent click on the paid results.
- To earn customers without paying, you need content: a blog, a community, a product that people want to share, or data.
- Google has NOT been replaced by social networks - 92 percent are still searching on traditional search engines.
- Optimizing conversion means measuring & testing.
- At the end of the talk, Rand Fishkin showed a few examples of inbound marketing, including a company that had grown with the help of a blog and a company that had failed to connect a viral video with their company so they didn't get the results they wanted.
More articles in the same series: Best Marketing and Selling Articles, Talks, Books, and Media